Posted on : June 30th, 2020
Every June when the stone fruits ripen, I get so excited, I tend to over-buy at the farmer’s market. The result is, we now have a fridge full of colorful berries and all manner of ready-to-eat peaches, plums, pluots, apricots and nectarines. I could freeze much of it for yummy smoothies, but…there’s also that leftover chicken that’s not enough to make a meal out of, plus lots of salad greens but no fresh citrus with which to assemble a proper Chinese chicken salad.
Maisie Jane’s Almonds to the rescue, providing protein and crunch; a healthy and delicious complement to the sweetness of summer fruits. Let’s face it: it’s too hot to cook and you’ve got to finish that cooked chicken (or turkey breast, or tofu cubes, if you prefer) before the point of no return. And because this chicken salad is not prepared with mayonnaise, Chicken, Summer Fruit and Almond Salad is perfect for a picnic or an outdoor potluck on the warmest summer day.
By the way, any kind of cooked chicken cut off the bone will work well in this recipe—even fried chicken. Skin on or off. Spicy or mild. Dark or white meat. Remember, we’re cleaning the fridge, so let your creativity run free!
• 2 cups leftover cooked chicken, cubed
• 6 cups of mixed salad greens, or shredded romaine or butter lettuce
• 2 cups of assorted summer fruits, cut small (peaches, plums, etc.—not too ripe!—and/or assorted berries: blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries all work well)
• ½ cup Maisie Jane’s Natural Almonds, pulsed in the food processor if desired—or swap them out for our Country Herb and Garlic Almonds for a savory taste treat
• Optional: ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
• 1/4 cup apple cider or rice vinegar
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 1/8 cup EVOO
• S&P to taste
Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl, mix well and enjoy. For variety, add any other seasonal fresh veggies for crunch: string beans, red peppers, cucumber. Add feta cheese on top if desired. Serves 6.
Maisie Jane’s California Sunshine Products, Inc. was founded on strong beliefs and passion for offering unique, flavorful, top-quality, nut products. We strongly believe in earth-friendly practices that start on our family-owned and operated orchards. We use organic farming practices and continue in the process by using all-natural ingredients with no preservatives or GMOs. We believe in honest, friendly and helpful customer relations at all levels. We take pride in every task, every day, with every person.