Why Are Nuts Good for Your Heart?
Posted on : September 11th, 2018
Here at Maisie Jane’s we like to say that almonds and other nuts are part of a heart-healthy lifestyle. Studies have shown that just a 1 oz increase in intake of almonds per day led to a 3.5 percent reduction in the estimated 10-year risk of heart disease. But WHY are nuts good for your heart? Let me count the ways!
- A diet low in saturated fats and cholesterol is one of the keys in preventing and treating cardiovascular diseases. Nuts—in particular almonds and walnuts— have a low proportion of saturated fats.
- Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats actually seem to lower the bad type of cholesterol that contributes to heart disease. Nuts are a good source of unsaturated fats.
- Nuts contain fiber which also helps lower your cholesterol. The fiber also helps you feel full so it makes a great snack when you need to stave off hunger in the middle of the day.
- Nuts are good source of Vitamin E, a nutrient that may help stop the development of plaques in your arteries. Plaque development is a significant factor in chest pain, coronary artery disease and heart attacks.
- Many nuts—particularly almonds— are a good source of magnesium, which helps lower blood pressure levels. High blood pressure is a strong factor leading to heart attack and strokes.
- Some nuts like almonds and walnuts contain naturally occurring plant sterols. Plant sterols lower cholesterol by blocking the absorption of cholesterol into your blood stream.
- Most diet plans for heart health emphasize foods to eliminate. Nuts are a versatile delicious protein and nutrient-rich food you’re recommended to add in! In moderation, of course, you could easily replace heart damaging foods in your lifestyle with nuts and enjoy a better life!
Maisie Jane’s California Sunshine Products, Inc. was founded on strong beliefs and passion for offering unique, flavorful, top-quality, nut products. We strongly believe in earth-friendly practices that start on our family owned and operated orchards. We use Organic farming practices and continue in the process by using all-natural ingredients with no preservatives or GMOs. We believe in honest, friendly and helpful customer relations at all levels. We take pride in every task, every day, with every person.